A while ago for one of my pservers, we had an entire backstory written up for the game content, which wasn't too much different in that there was defined gameplay factions, and you had to be in one of them. There was no individual play, you had an entire factin of people to play with.
Regardless, we had a small running background on the factions: Axium, Travia, and Fimbul, obviously fimbul being most of the actual fan fiction itself considering Fimbul isn't canon or wasn't intended to be in the first release of gunz lore information.
I'm not going to be writing the whole thing out, just a quick summary of the idea, and I might eventually reimplement it on a server, I still think it was a good idea.
Basically, Travia Republic and the Axium Empire have been at War since Travia's creation, many of the older living settlements were uprooted and forced to move, two of which being the moon dynasty and the red blood dynasty. As war was being constantly brought together at the south, the two dynasties were driven into the northern territory where they had to learn how to first battle the elements before they could fight each other again.
<insert sappy love story maybe, or something stupid like divine intervention, plot device here>
The two dynasties combined to make the Fimbul Dynasty, from the northern territories. Dedicated to reclaiming their lost holy grounds (citidel, lost shrine[whatever its called], there was one more...), they attacked several major settlements of Travia and Axium, letting themselves be known among the world stage once again.
I obviously could have written pages about happenings in the war, the reason the red blood / moon combined, etc, but I'm not going to.
Factions and general descriptions:
- Generally more royal feeling
- Strong background, akin to king authorian type writing
- Imperial, believes they are right because they were first
- Mansion, Garden, Castle, Staircase
- 'home town' feeling, smaller settlements, yet industrial
- More recent upstarting, probably the invading force on axium, ilys doesnt seem too big but of course we dont have a map.
- Democracy, voted president
- Town, Port, Station, Factory
- Oriental types, all of their existing lore is very unique in the game
- Red Blood and Moon are pretty old factions, their recent joining might only be temporary
- It's a dynasty... which means its an emperor or lord
- Lost Shrine, Citidel, Dungeon (probably),
There are other factions in the game obviously, but I don't think the pirate faction is large enough to constitute a real faction.
---------- Post added 08-23-2010 at 04:53 AM ----------
Instead of playing a bounty hunter, you played as a soldier in one of the factions.