I'm working on an expanded drop table/system for quest, making it more useful to do quest for regular players, not just quest players doing it over and over (although I think the rewards from quest are barely worth even looking for if you quest all the damn time too) I'm basing the items you get out of quest off a custom item set which was rebalanced by me a while ago.
A few changes:
1. Every monster has a chance of dropping items in its level range, however low the chances may be.
2. There is three classes of items that can drop, Normal, Special, and Rare
3. There are three classes of monsters, Normal, Leader, Boss
Normal: Items you can generally buy in the shop.
Special: Special items are normal items with a modified stat, and has a specific modifier name (EG: Cruel Military Katana = +10% Damage)
Rare: An item which has no relation to any item, has a special and unique skin and has very good stats (for it's level) Usually combines two of the special stats on to one weapon making it extremely powerful compared to normal items.
Normal: 0.5 chance of dropping a usable item, think Goblin as a prototype of this kind of mob.
Leader: 5% Chance of dropping a usable item, think Goblin Shaman as a prototype of this kind of mob
Boss: 100% chance of dropping a usable item, think Goblin King as a prototype of this kind of mob
In addition, boss mobs will have a much higher chance of dropping a Special or Rare item, usually a 25% chance to drop a Rare and a 75% chance to drop a Special.
I've been working on this system for a couple of months now, just starting to get to the raw editing, it may take a while but I think people will be interested in it once it's completed on some level.